Friday, October 1, 2010

Using God as a GPS

I was on my way to visit my mom today when, for some weird reason, I started thinking about my GPS. It's been a very reliable GPS......easy to understand and quick to come up with an alternate route when I'm being stupid and take the wrong road. And as I was pondering this it dawned on me that God is a lot like my GPS.

Just like my GPS, God has a route in mind for me...... and it's usually a better route than the one I would have taken if left to my own means.

Just like my GPS, God allows mistakes and calculates a different path to get me to my destination. Sometimes I may have to pay tolls as a consequence of my actions, but He never criticizes me for making a wrong turn and is quick with an alternate route to get me back on track.

Just like my GPS, God recognizes when there are detours along the route and is quick to steer me down safer paths, around dangerous situations.

Just like my GPS, God knows more about where I need to be than I do. Even if I don't know the exact address of where I'm going, as long as I know the general area my GPS can guide me to where I need to be. God is like this too.....I may not always know exactly what direction I need to be going in, but if I let God lead me then I know that I'll end up where I need to be.

And just like my GPS, I rely very heavily on God to get me where I'm going. He makes my life easier, less complicated, and less stressful when I stop side-seat driving and let Him lead the way.

I realized shortly after my husband bought it how much we all relied on the GPS. I never realized until today how much God is like my GPS. Perhaps now I should say that I have two GPSs..... one Global Positioning System and one Guide and Protector for my Soul....and I would be eternally lost without either of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment